Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Calm After the Storm

Yesterday the storms rolled in...and they rolled & they rolled & they rolled. It stormed almost all day yesterday and all night last night. About 11:30pm last night a huge cell came through bringing with it some crazy howling wind, pounding rain, non-stop flashes of lightning & house-shaking thunder. We lost a few more tree limbs from our pecan tree in the back yard that didn't go with the ice storm. Our front yard looked like a massive pond.

The repeating flashes of light & rumbling thunder woke up our sleeping blue-eyed beauty from his sound sleep. I smashed my toe on a huge yellow dump truck left in the hall doorway as I bolted (almost as fast as the persistent lighting) to grab up my scared little guy. He calmed down immediately once he realized that Mama was there & all was safe inside our house. We relaxed on the couch watching through the big front window of our living at the awesome light show. Sebastian is only as scared of the weather as we are, so I try to make it a point to be as calming to him as possible.

I'm a huge lover of thunderstorms. Actually, I'll try to rephrase that to be a little more correct. I'm a huge love of thunderstorms in the confort of my own home. I don't want to be at work & Sebastian at daycare or out driving in my car. I completely flip out in those circumstances, but at home I feel safe & secure and can enjoy the sights & sounds. It's a completely different experience for me at home as opposed to anywhere else.

I had an absolutely wonderful night on the couch with Sebastian. We laid on the couch together cheek-to-cheek. He stroked my hair with little fingers which makes me giggle everytime I think about it. That must be one of those little quirks he gets from his Daddy who is a hair twister. It was a comfort to me to know that Sebastian was not afraid. As the lightning sparked, bright & recurrent and the thunder pounded with such force that my whole body shook, Sebastian laid perfectly still. Not as much as a flinch when the house rattled; his hand never missed a beat as he continually ran his fingers through my hair. My only hope is that he will grow up leaning toward my "cautious" love for thunderstorms and not David's fascination or fixation on severe weather. I don't want a storm chaser on my hands.

About an hour later, the rain, lightning & thunder had subsided only slightly. Sebastian was still wide-eyed laying on the couch with me staring out the window. We decided to curl up in my bed and try to get some sleep. Sebastian informed me that he wanted lay in his bed after the funner went away outside. The "funner" never went away...at least not right away, so Daddy laid beside Sebastian's bed until he went back to sleep. This morning Sebastian woke us up bright & early to enlighten us that the "funner" was gone. Bye bye funner - until we meet again!!


Don't look like the storms affected his sleep any



1 comments:

Anonymous May 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

I love reading your blog. You keep my attention and you can really tell how much you love your son. He is so cute by the way.

Followers

My Reason to Blog...

Sebastian...the absolute love of my life. He is our currently only child. He is almost 3 and is as independent as they come. He loves washing his hands & swinging. He would live outside if he could. He's developing a love of thunderstorms from his Mama & Daddy. He looks adorable in flip flops. He loves talking on the phone. He has gorgeous blue eyes & dashing dimples. His favorite thing to eat is fruit or Starbursts. He sleeps with his blue snowman blanket wankwie. He loves to be tickled or chased. He loves his Mama & Daddy more than anything!
Lilypie

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP